adsense

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Road Trip to Reno - When 48 Hours and a Rental Car Can Seem Like Freedom

The Nugget sign is cool and so old school.
When was the last time you declared, "Road Trip!" and meant it? For me it had been years, maybe decades since I dropped everything and headed somewhere.

Back in July a group of my friends all had a trip planned to Reno, me I had obligations. Work meetings kept me from jumping a Southwest flight and going with everyone. Well, until my customer cancelled and freed up my schedule at the last minute.

I do mean last minute and it was 9 p.m. on a Thursday, before I actually hit the road to Reno. The choice to go was unlike when I was younger, back then it was hell yes, where are we going? I questioned if I really needed to go, if I could get a room and was it a good choice. Yep, I nearly let reason get in the way of a great road trip.

TIP: Last minute trip, go online and use www.PriceLine.com. Not my first choice for rooms, I like to know where I am staying before I book. A rental car is a different thing and they are cheap when you bid.

After picking up a mileage happy rental, I grabbed some energy drink and a burger. Because it was late, the traffic was light and I hit the road. Once out of town, I found the 395 and was off the primary freeway. The 395 out of Victorville is an incredible two-lane that is wide and smooth. It is dark and if you can live with that the ups and downs can be fun.
Just one of the majestic sights along highway 395

The remainder of the trip on the 395 is breathtaking by day. At night its fun, with small towns lit by neon and on a moonlit night landscapes for miles.

I arrived in Reno road haggard and strung out on energy drink and cheap snacks. It was either really late at night or super early in the morning, depending on how you look at it. My room at the Eldorado was arranged by a friend and the front desk had everything ready, even at the late/early hour.

Friday and Saturday was the style trip that friends remember. We all embarked on an outing of gambling, food, drinks, laughs and stories. We explored downtown Reno, a place that lacks the shine and variety of Las Vegas. What it does have is character and some darn good bars and eateries. Take a look at the places we found below and recommend.

ELDORADO                            HARRAH'S
Roxy Bar & Lounge                  Hash House A Go-Go
The Prime Rib Grill                   Harrah's Steak House
Brew Brothers

Next time that someone yells "Road Trip" stop and consider your sanity, your friendships and staying young. A good road trip will add at least a couple of years to your life, I am sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment